Known for its Buddhist temples and vibrant night life, Bangkok has remained the number one most visited city since 2016. Not sure what all the craze is about and wish to see for yourself? Well, here’s the perfect hotel to stay at for exploring Thailand!
The Sukhothai Bangkok
Address: 13/3 S Sathorn Rd, Khwaeng Thung Maha Mek, Khet Sathon, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10120, Thailand
Phone Number: +66 2 344 8888
Check-In Time: 2:00PM
Check-Out Time: 12:00PM
Reservation was made for 2 nights in Club Balcony Room.
About The Sukhothai Bangkok
The Sukhothai Bangkok is a 5-star luxury hotel located steps to nearby business and entertainment districts as well as BTS Skytrain stations. The hotel’s design draws inspiration from the ancient city of Sukhothai (thus its name) and incorporates careful renditions of Chedis and pagodas reminiscent of that era. Whether you are looking for a relaxing staycation or searching for a good night’s sleep after a full day of exploring Thailand, it’s the perfect sanctuary in downtown Bangkok.
Bangkok has two airports: Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport. From Suvarnabhumi, it’s a 30km drive that takes approximately 25 minutes. From Don Muang, it’s a 25km drive that takes about 20 minutes. Due to Uber being discontinued in Thailand, I highly recommend downloading the Grab app. It’s essentially the SE Asian version of Uber and I actually find it much cheaper!
Alternatively, The Sukohthai Bangkok offers private limousine services too. Below is their pricing:
- Airport to Hotel by Mercedes-Benz S 300 BlueTEC HYBRID THB3,200 (~$100 USD/~$140 CAD); inclusive of tax and service charge
- Airport to Hotel by Mercedes Benz Vito van THB3,500 (~$110 USD/~$150 CAD); inclusive of tax and service charge
Check-in was a little confusing as Club Wing guests check-in directly at the Club Lounge located on the 6th floor of the Club Wing building (not at the Main Wing lobby). However, apart from that, the process was very smooth and I found the staff extremely polite and welcoming.
Club Balcony Room
The Sukhothai Club Wing is actually a new addition to the hotel that recently just opened in December 2018. All Club Wing guests are eligible for Club Lounge Privileges (as highlighted below) and can of course also enjoy all regular amenities as well.
View of the pool from my room.
What I loved the most about my room was the balcony. Not only is there a nice sitting area for you to enjoy room service breakfast or afternoon tea, it has a cabana bed. A CABANA BED! How insane is that!?!??!!! Additionally, a really great feature is their rooftop blind/cover which you can either keep open or closed. Maybe it’s drizzling out, but you still want a breath of fresh air, or the sun’s a little too bright and reflecting off the pages of your book. No matter what you’re in the mood for, the balcony is a great alternative to lounging by the public hotel pool. Plus you get more privacy too.
Note that only the second floor is equipped with balconies. If you prefer a higher up view, there are other room types available.
Club Lounge Privileges
As stated above, the Club Lounge is situated on the 6th floor. All Club Wing guests have access to lounge usage and are entitled to the following perks:
- Personalized check-in and check-out
- Coffee or tea delivered to room with wake-up call
- Complimentary daily breakfast from 6:30am to 10:30am on weekdays and 6:30am to 11:00am on weekends
- Complimentary daily afternoon tea from 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Complimentary evening cocktails, selected beverages, and canapés from 5:30pm to 7:30pm
- Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages available daily throughout the lounge operational hours from 6:30am to 10:00pm
- Complimentary laundry/pressing of 2 items of clothing
- Complimentary high-speed Internet access for up to 6 devices per room
- Complimentary meeting room use for 2 hours per stay (advance reservation required and subject to availability)
I forget the full name of this dish, but it was a vodka-infused whipped egg with caviar and gold flakes. Absolutely divine!
Like I mentioned earlier, Club Wing guests are able to enjoy regular hotel amenities – and that includes complimentary breakfast at Colonnade. Despite spending two nights here, I really only had one morning to try their breakfast given that my departure flight was super early in the morning. (The hotel did pack takeaway breakfast boxes for me.) While Colonnade is known for its Sunday brunch, I decided to give the Club Lounge breakfast a go.
During my stay, I had the opportunity to try the signature Thai massage at The Sukhothai Bangkok’s Spa Botanica. Now I’m personally a soft tofu with very low pain tolerance, which is why I did ask for a more gentle treatment instead of the traditional style where they really press in with their elbows. That said, it’s up to you to communicate with the staff what you’re looking for. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and you can find their spa menu here.
Outdoor Swimming Pool
Set within a lush garden and tropical surroundings, this 25-meter infinity-edged outdoor pool operates daily from 6:30am to 8:00pm.
Restaurants & Bars
Whether you are craving authentic Thai food or perhaps you want to try other cuisines, The Sukhothai Bangkok has you covered.
View this post on Instagram
The hotel has a total of three restaurants, a chocolate buffet bar, two bars, and a gourmet bakery. What I want to highlight for you, however, is Celadon, which specializes in Thai cuisine. In fact, it has been voted “best restaurant in Bangkok” by magazine Travel + Leisure. While I did pass by the restaurant many times, I unfortunately did not have a chance to dine there. That said, I will definitely need to make a trip back to Bangkok and will report back with my experience.
How cute is that mini elephant! Loving all these small details <3
Late night room service dinner.
Value of Price: ★★★★★
Internet Access: Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Great location
- Very friendly + hospitable staff
- Extremely comfortable bed and pillows. (Kept hitting the snooze button on my alarm and literally had to drag myself out of bed every morning because it was that comfortable!)
- Amazing room service menu. (Did I mention their fried rice is to die for?)
- Complimentary drinks and snacks throughout the day
- Chocolate buffet offered every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 2:00pm to 5:00pm at Salon. (Missed out on this, but I. Will. Return!)
- Wi-Fi is a little tricky to log onto. With every new device, you have to keep trying a few times before you can fully login.
*In terms of quietness, the room itself is, no doubt, a tranquil sanctuary. However, being on the second floor means you are in close proximity to the public pool. In other words, you can hear everything. When I was lounging on the balcony, I low key tuned into a conversation with these three British guys (it was really, really interesting although I forget what it was about now). It wasn’t an issue for me per say and once you shut the balcony doors, it’s dead quiet. I did still want to point this out though as it’s obviously not as noisy as if you were sitting in one of the cabanas at the actual pool, but you may wish to pack ear plugs/headphones if this bothers you.
Like what you see? Check here for availabilities and book today!