Everything you need to know about Japan’s Fuji Shibazakura Festival.

Fuji Shibazakura Festival

A bed of pink and green against the stunning Mt. Fuji horizon. Oh Japan, you never cease to amaze me.

Yes, I know, I was just in Japan last November, but there is something so mesmerizing about the land of the rising sun that I simply can’t resist its charms. To celebrate my birthday this year, I met up with my parents in Tokyo in May and we couldn’t have picked a better time to visit.

Fuji Shibazakura Festival

What is Fuiji Shibazakura?

Fuji Shibazakura Festival

The Fuji Shibazakura Festival is an annual flower festival that takes place mid-April to end of May in Fujikawaguchiko, Japan.Β There are approximately 800,000 shibazakura (moss phlox or pink moss) that bloom at the base of Mt. Fuji thus making this a very popular destination for tourists and locals alike.

The term “shibazakura” can be translated into English as “lawn cherry”. Its name came about from its resemblance to cherry blossoms and moss phlox being a creeper plant, it covers the ground like a lawn.

Tickets are 600 yen (~$7 CAD) per person for adults and 250 yen for children 3 or older. Parking on site costs 500 yen for standard vehicles, 2,000 yen for large vehicles, and 300 yen for motor bikes. I highly recommend taking shuttles however. The lot can fill up pretty quickly and note that Japan is a left-hand traffic country. As someone from North America, it may be a quite a challenge getting used to. Car rentals in Japan aren’t particularly cheap either so save yourself the trouble and take public transportation.

Getting Here

We stayed at a hotel inΒ Fujiyoshida just minutes from Kawaguchiko Station. That said, we were already in the area. For those planning to come from elsewhere further say Tokyo for example, Kawaguchiko Station is the nearest station to the festival.

At the station, you can purchase shuttleΒ tickets for the Shibazakura Liner. This takes you directly from the station to the festival with no stops in between (30 minutes give or take one way). Tickets are 2,000 yen (~$23 CAD) for adults and 1,000 yen for children ages 3-12. This includesΒ round-trip transportation with admission to the festival.

Fuji Shibazakura Festival

The park opens at 8am so we took the earliest shuttle at 7:50 and arrived around 8:20. Let me tell you, it was jam packed already. Usually I’d suggest early visits to avoid crowds, but definitely not the case here. I say if you have a pretty relaxed schedule, sleep in and take your time!

Below is a schedule of the Shibazakura Liner and more information can be found on the festival website.

Fuji Shibazakura Festival Shuttle Schedule

The Festival

The park is quite big and walking shoes are preferred. The shuttle dropped us off at entrance #2, which I’d say is much closer to the main pink moss action. We looped around the Ryujin-ike Pond and at this point I was starting to get anxious that Mt. Fuji was nowhere to be seen. The skies were a bit hazy and naturally I thought we came on a bad day. We obviously didn’t study the park map but I’ve labelled where I think the best views of Fuji-san are down below.

Map of Fuji Shibazakura Festival

#1
Not as many pink moss here but you get a nice view of Mt. Fuij and the lovely pond. The pond and surrounding fields are also fenced off, which means there won’t be random people in your shots – or at least they won’t be as visible πŸ˜‰

Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura FestivalFuji Shibazakura FestivalFuji Shibazakura FestivalFuji Shibazakura FestivalWhen the sun’s so bright your small Asian eyes are non-existent.

#2
Here is where you really get that nice framing with the pop of pink against the blue Mt. Fuji. You still see the pond but compared to #1 however, taking photos here can be trickier since you get a lot of people moving in the background between paths.

Aside from taking photos, I urge you to check out the Panorama CafΓ© where you can enjoy a little snack and sit and relax in front of this gorgeous scenery.

Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura Festival

And if you are hungry, there are food stands as well (more info here). Also don’t forget that there are souvenir shops too located along the exit so you can grab some specialty treats on your way out and not have to worry about carrying them around the park.

Now I myself have never heard about this festival until I was looking up things to do for my trip. Needless to say we were definitely vey lucky to have been able to make it and I strongly suggest paying a visit if you are in Japan in April/May. We only had about 4 days in Japan hence we were on a tight schedule but I’d say you need at least half a day here. There was the whole other side of the park near entrance 1 that we didn’t even get to explore and with festivals like this, you really need to take the leisure to stroll through the park and enjoy mother nature.

Gonna concludes this week’s blog post with a couple more pictures. Don’t forget to sign up for newsletters and I will see you next Saturday!

Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura Festival Fuji Shibazakura FestivalFuji Shibazakura FestivalFuji Shibazakura Festival

Share:

103 Comments

1. Helen
    June 24, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Wow I’ve been reading up on Japan for a trip next year and hadn’t seen anything about this festival! Your pictures are absolutely stunning, what incredible colours!!

June 24, 2017 / 4:25 pm

Thanks Helen! When are you planning to visit? Japan is honestly such a beautiful destination, I think you’ll really love it πŸ™‚

2. June 24, 2017 / 7:29 pm

Oh my word! These photos are so pretty. Those flowers. WOW. Your outfit is adorable too.

June 24, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Thanks so much Jessica! Appreciate the kind remarks <3

3. June 24, 2017 / 11:24 pm

Everyone always talks about the Japanese cherry blossom festival, but I’ve never heard of this before! You’ve captured this festival beautifully πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing

June 24, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Aww thank you Mia! Super glad you enjoyed my photos. It was actually pretty hazy during my visit so I had a difficult time editing. This is right after the cherry blossom season so if you have time, I definitely recommend seeing both on your visit to Japan πŸ™‚

4. June 25, 2017 / 2:41 am

Absolutely incredible pictures and location! The brightness of colors just seems unreal! I guess this could be named Instagram photo spot Nr 1 of the year, I don’t remember seeing anything so pretty in a really long time.
    Good thing that you provide info about the public transport, as we once drove one of the Japanese cars (in Palau, actually), and even the information on the dash is in Japanese, so can be really hard to understand all the info, not just the driving bit!

June 25, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Thank you so much Alina! I’m entirely flattered by your kind words. I had actually wanted to rent a car but my parents were strongly against it. Super glad we didn’t. Can’t imagine what a struggle it must’ve been for you guys, yikes!

5. June 25, 2017 / 4:22 am

Your photos are absolutely stunning. The backdrop of Mount Fuji really does it for me. Thank you for introducing me to a festival other than the cherry blossoms!

June 25, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Aww you are more than welcome, Ivana! Hope you’ll get to see its beauties in person someday <3

6. June 25, 2017 / 7:13 am

Woah, this is so beautiful it’s unreal! I had to postpone this year’s trip to Japan, and am now kind of glad I did so that I can add this to the itenerary πŸ™‚ Thanks for including all of the practicalities with transport & footwear, it really helps!
    -Rosalie

June 25, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Whoohoo that’s awesome Rosalie! Guess things turned out for the best. Hope these tips/suggestions can help for when you visit!!

7. June 25, 2017 / 8:34 am

Great post! I’ve never heard of the Shibazakura, I’ll have to try and make a trip out next year. To be honest I haven’t gone much further than Tachikawa lol. I love your mani btw!

June 25, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Aww thanks girl! I still have the same ones on and it’s been over a month… I’m just terrible with nails hahaa. I’ve actually never visited Tachikawa and I’ve been to Japan six times. It’s such a small country but at the same time there are so many things to do that you never get to see it all. This is definitely bucket list worthy though and I hope you’ll get to visit next year πŸ˜€

8. June 25, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Those flowers are so pretty! I’d love to visit this flower festival. Let’s see if I could squeeze this to my Tokyo trip next year

June 25, 2017 / 8:56 pm

Japan is always a good idea. Bring me with you!!

9. June 25, 2017 / 8:04 pm

Wow. Your pictures are amazing! I was supposed to go to Japan this spring to visit my nephew and we never made it over. We would have been there for this beautiful festival. I’m sad that we missed it now! Nice detail in your descriptions. I am adding this to my planning folder!!!

June 25, 2017 / 8:46 pm

Aww that’s a bummer! There’s always next time though and now you know how to better prepare for your visit too πŸ™‚

10. June 25, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Wow, this looks unreal! I would love to visit and see this festival myself. Thanks for the deep insight into your trip.

June 25, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Thanks Chris! Super glad you enjoyed the blog post and this is definitely bucket list worthy. Hope you’ll get to see it someday πŸ™‚

11. June 25, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Wow! The colors are just so vibrant. I have never heard of this festival before and I’m really surprised. Using public transport definitely sounds like a good idea. Definitely adding this to my list for Japan.

July 1, 2017 / 4:52 pm

Yay! Super glad I could inspire you to add this to your bucket list. Hope you’ll get to see it someday, Penny!

12. June 26, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Wow this is incredible! I’m definitely putting this on my list after seeing your amazing photos!!

July 1, 2017 / 4:53 pm

Aww that’s awesome Julie! Hope you’ll get to cross it off your list soon πŸ™‚

13. June 26, 2017 / 6:34 pm

These photos are amazing! We visited Japan in November and with the fall colours it was beautiful, but this looks equally pretty. I had never heard of this festival but it looks so fun that I want to go now. Thanks for sharing this, it will definitely go on my bucket list.

July 1, 2017 / 4:54 pm

Lucky you! I’ve been to Japan so many times but still haven’t visited during autumn yet. Super glad I inspired you to put this on your list and hope you’ll get to see it in person someday!!

14. June 27, 2017 / 9:09 pm

Wow, I need to attend this festival!! I absolutely love the colours in your photos and Instagram feed. When I visited the Hakone area it was too cloudy to see Mount Fuji . Hopefully I can see it next time along with all the flowers in Shibazakura .

July 1, 2017 / 4:56 pm

Same! We visited Hakone after this and the first day we were there, Mt. Fuji was nowhere to be seen. Second day it showed its face but we were leaving already πŸ™ Mt. Fuji is absolutely incredible and never gets old no matter where you view it. This is definitely a bucket list worthy spot!

15. June 28, 2017 / 7:22 pm

Those pictures are stunning! This really makes me want to go to Mt Fuji! I will have to go at this time of the year.

July 1, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Thanks so much Anna! If you can, I recommend going a bit earlier to catch the cherry blossoms as well πŸ™‚

16. June 30, 2017 / 6:52 pm

What a colorful experience. This festival looks to be one of the best ever with those views. And of course there is food and souvenirs, which caps off the day perfect. Now I want to go to Mt. Fuji.

July 1, 2017 / 4:57 pm

One could easily spend a whole day here. Hope you’ll get to visit someday Sara!!

17. July 1, 2017 / 2:03 am

Those colours! That pink! I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it. I would love to be surrounded by such vivid nature as this – once to add to the bucket list!

July 1, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Yay! Thanks Samantha!! Really glad I could inspire you to pay a visit. Have a great weekend <3

18. July 1, 2017 / 11:53 am

Oh my goodness these flowers are so gorgeous! Your pictures are amazing. I had no idea that a festival like this existed but now I need to go!

July 1, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Thanks so much Kassie! I didn’t know about this festival until recently and it’s definitely a must if you ever visit Japan!!

19. July 1, 2017 / 1:40 pm

I’ve never even heard of this park. However, the lake with the reflection is just unreal! I love the bright pink flowers that surround it as well. It’s so affordable too, it would be impossible not to make a stop there!

July 1, 2017 / 4:59 pm

It’s definitely very affordable, just a bit far to get to but seeing those pink moss/flowers against the Mt. Fuji horizon is just an absolutely incredible scene that you HAVE to experience for yourself!

20. July 1, 2017 / 1:45 pm

What amazing photos! I had no idea this festival was even a thing and now I want to go so badly!

July 1, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Aww thank you Shannon! If you ever visit Japan, it’s a must-see πŸ˜‰

21. July 1, 2017 / 2:08 pm

Wow! The flowers and Mt. Fuji are stunning! Such beautiful pictures! I’d love to go to this festival. Lovely!

July 1, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Thanks Stacey!! Definitely add it to your Japan bucket list, you won’t regret visiting!

22. July 1, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Visiting Japan is at the top my Son’s travel bucket list and after seeing your incredible photos, it’s got a spot on mine as well! I love festivals and often use them as an excuse to visit places around the world. They always showcase the best of a place and this festival is no exception. Great post, thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely add the Fuji Shibazakura Festival to our itinerary when we visit Japan!!

July 4, 2017 / 6:27 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words Tracey! Japan is no doubt a great destination for family trips. I myself have visited mostly with my parents and we love it. Hoping that you’ll get to visit someday soon!!

23. Michelle d
    July 1, 2017 / 7:54 pm

WOW! The pop of pink flowers in the scenery is amazing! Such fantastic photos and it sounds like such an amazing festival.

July 4, 2017 / 6:27 pm

Thanks Michelle! The pink moss was really quite a sight!! πŸ™‚

24. July 2, 2017 / 12:23 am

WE were thinking of doing a ski trip in Japan next year but then seeing this now, seems like I would like to do something like this .

Now, I am torn. I definitely bookmarked this though. Thanks

July 4, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Aww tbh, it is one of my biggest dreams to spend an entire year in Japan so I can explore more beautiful places and fun activities throughout all four seasons!

25. Amelie
    July 2, 2017 / 2:27 am

Waaaahhhh these photos are so pretty, it’s almost unreal! Man, I would so love to visit Japan some time soon!

July 4, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Thanks so much Amelie. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was dreaming hahaa πŸ˜‰

26. July 2, 2017 / 7:54 am

Oooo I’m so going to plan a trip there between April- May just to catch this after reading your post! It’s a flower fairyland and what’s better than this? Stunning photos!

July 4, 2017 / 6:31 pm

So glad I could inspire you to visit!! Let me know if you ever need any more recommendations for nearby places πŸ™‚

27. July 2, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Wow, so gorgeous, I’d have thought that it’s a bit like Holland with its tulip fields. However, we don’t have Fuji in the distance, we’re as flat as the ocean, unfortunately …

July 4, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Hollyand’s Tulip Festival is at the top of my bucket list!! All the photos I’ve seen online are just spectacular! Don’t know what you complaining about with the flatness hehee πŸ˜‰

28. July 2, 2017 / 11:53 pm

I had never heard of this festival and I wonder why. Is it not so popular? It sure is just amazing – the pink blossoms offset by the greens around it. Stunning indeed. I know I would love to visit here.

July 4, 2017 / 6:35 pm

That’s a very good question, Ami! I totally did not find out about this festival until I was searching for things to do near Mt. Fuji. Even then there didn’t seem to be that much information on it (apart from the festival’s official website). Maybe it’s more of a local’s favorite but it’s definitely bucket list worthy πŸ˜€

29. July 3, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Hello Fellow Canadian! WOW! your pictures are INCREDIBLE! Nice job. The festival looks incredible. I hope to get to Japan for the first time soon!

July 4, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Do it!!! Air Canada is having a sale right now πŸ˜‰

30. July 4, 2017 / 9:33 am

Your photos are absolutely stunning! I’d love to visit Fuji Shibazakura Festival those pink flowers are gorgeous.

July 4, 2017 / 6:25 pm

Thank you so much Sue!!! It’s definitely a must-see if you’re ever in the area πŸ™‚

31. July 4, 2017 / 10:31 am

Beautiful photographs, maybe one day I will get to see this in person! Pinning to my travel board so others can enjoy it πŸ™‚

July 4, 2017 / 6:24 pm

Thanks for sharing, Daneen! Hope you’ll get to experience it someday soon πŸ˜€

July 4, 2017 / 6:24 pm

The cafΓ© was a nice place to people watch too πŸ˜‰

32. Alexandria
    July 4, 2017 / 11:20 am

It’s so pretty! Love the flowers! Never been to a festival like this before!

July 4, 2017 / 6:24 pm

It was my first time to something like this too. Super breathtaking!!

33. July 4, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Oh my gosh! That landscape and that beautiful pink are breathtaking!! This looks like it would be an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing it!

July 4, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Aww thank you Jess for reading! <3

34. July 4, 2017 / 10:28 pm

That pink moss-rimmed lake is incredible! I would love to see that in person. You’ve kicked my wanderlust into high gear πŸ™‚

July 7, 2017 / 11:55 pm

Hehhee glad to hear so Erin! Happy weekend <3

35. July 5, 2017 / 10:03 am

These photos are incredibly beautiful! The sea of pink against the blue of the sky is marvelous!

July 7, 2017 / 11:56 pm

It was truly an incredible sight to witness πŸ™‚

36. July 5, 2017 / 10:10 am

What a gorgeous blanket of flowers! Although I felt like they burned themselves into my retinas πŸ˜‰
    The scenery is just unbelievable and I’d never heard of this festival before, so thanks for sharing!

July 7, 2017 / 11:57 pm

Glad you enjoyed the post, Katherine. Happy weekend dear!

37. July 5, 2017 / 10:20 am

wow your photos are amazing ! I LOVE those pink flowers and Mt. Fuji behind! That festival sounds fun! I am gonna visit Japan this year unfortunate only 3 days in Tokyo so I wont get to explore more of that beautiful country !

July 7, 2017 / 11:57 pm

Aww maybe next time! There’s so much to do in Tokyo too, your’e gonna have a blast!!!

38. Nerissa
    July 5, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Wow these pictures are incredible!!! I never made it to Mount Fuji when I visited Japan and it’s on my list when I go back. Japan is my favourite country so far, such beauty in the landscapes and the people. I am now obsessed with matcha πŸ™‚

July 7, 2017 / 11:58 pm

This was my 6th trip to Japan and it was my first time seeing Mt. Fuji so I’m sure you’ll get to it eventually. And omg matcha is the best! Matcha latte, matcha ice cream, matcha tiramisu… great, now I’m craving it! XDD

39. July 5, 2017 / 5:33 pm

Your pictures are incredible! I love the way you captured the colors of the flowers and Mt. Fuji looming in the background. This sounds like a great festival. I wish I’d gotten to attend when I was in Japan years ago.

July 7, 2017 / 11:55 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Kris! This is no doubt a bucket list worthy event to attend πŸ˜‰

40. July 5, 2017 / 9:05 pm

Jas, what an incredible time to visit Japan! The festival looks amazing with Mt Fuji as the perfect backdrop. Your photo’s are amazing and you look gorgeous as usual my girl! xx

July 7, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Thank you so much Priti!! You always make me blushhhhhhhh! <3

41. Candiss
    July 5, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I love all the flower festivities in Japan. I didn’t know about this festival but will have to take the trip one day I love Japan to begin with and this just looks stunning!!

July 7, 2017 / 11:53 pm

I didn’t know about this either until recently. It’s a trip worth taking for sure though πŸ™‚

42. Joanna
    July 6, 2017 / 2:40 am

Your photos looks so surreal, I love the contrast between the bright pink and the blue. And the fact that they are all at the base of mount Fuji it makes it even more special. I would love to see this in person. The aroma in the air must have been so pleasant from the perfume of the flowers.

July 7, 2017 / 11:52 pm

It’s definitely bucket list worthy and I think you’d love it there, Joanna! Funny thing tho it didn’t smell like anything much to be honest but probably because they were moss not really flowers.

43. Naomi
    July 6, 2017 / 10:22 am

These pictures are absolutely stunning and you look so chic! I had no idea this festival existed. Can’t wait to make it there someday!

July 7, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Thanks Naomi! I try to plan my outfits to match the scenery when I can. (Am I crazy? Lol!) Hope you’ll get to see it in person someday πŸ˜€

44. Ro
    July 6, 2017 / 12:32 pm

the flower festivities in Japan are incredible. I only got to visit during the winter period but I still loved it. the colors in your photos are captivating

July 7, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Winter in Japan is beautiful as well. Thanks so much Ro, hope you’re off to a beautiful weekend πŸ™‚

45. Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen
    July 6, 2017 / 2:29 pm

WOW!! Those pictures are amazing! I can’t believe how pink it is. This would be a great festival to attend. How fun!

July 7, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Thanks so much Kimberly! And I know right!! I didn’t even turn up the saturation and the pink was already so vivid!

46. July 6, 2017 / 2:48 pm

Jasmine!!! I finally got a chance to stumble upon your blog! And omg the photos are amazing! I have yet to make it to Japan during the spring time – I’ve only gone during Summer and Fall/Winter – but this is def on my bucket list! Thank you for sharing!

July 7, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Hi Jin!!! Thanks so much for your kind words! <3 Sometimes I wish I could spend a whole year in Japan just to experience its four seasons.

47. July 6, 2017 / 3:31 pm

So very beautiful. After visiting Japan twice, I need to return to attend festivals and this would be high on my list.

July 7, 2017 / 11:48 pm

There’s so much to see in Japan! I’ve been 6 times and still haven’t seen everything yet XDD

48. July 7, 2017 / 3:36 am

Oh my gosh, these colours are absolutely unreal! I love Japan – so much fascinating culture and incredible landscape, a truly beautiful country. I’ll have to add this to my list for future visits! Thanks for sharing.

July 7, 2017 / 11:47 pm

Glad to hear I’ve inspired you to visit! After this trip, Japan has honestly become my favorite destination.

49. July 8, 2017 / 1:43 am

This looks surreal! Amazing place I must admit! I haven’t been yet to Japan, but of course, now I put it on my bucket list. Did you go to Keukenhof in Netherlands?

July 9, 2017 / 12:25 am

I haven’t but it’s definitely on my list!! We should see who gets to check off their bucket list item first πŸ˜‰

50. August 17, 2017 / 3:46 am

wow you had such a great view of Fuji! Clear day! I went to Japan and Fuji in 2013, in early april we must have just missed this!

Found you from #TraveTuesday link up!

51. August 17, 2017 / 6:01 am

So pretty pretty!!! i always love your pics – the colours are so sweet and happy!

52. August 17, 2017 / 11:25 am

Your images are absolutely incredible! Mt. Fuji really pops and I LOVE all that gorgeous pink! I would love to visit this festival and see Mt. Fuji with my own eyes.