Best Views of Oregon Coast

It’s been quite a few months since my last trip to Asia and a lot has happened since. I was in two rear-end car accidents – I’m fine, still alive – but I just haven’t been in the mood for whipping out them blog posts. I’m back and I am making it a goal to blog once a week (hopefully). Sign up for newsletters in the sidebar on the right and make sure you never miss a post!

Now onto the juicy story…

Oregon Coast

Ahhh yessssss, Oregon. I was just in Portland last April but never got the chance to actually see Oregon Coast. Like Vancouver, Oregon is infamous for its rain and can even get a bit stormy at times. If you’re lucky, however, you’ll get to witness the coast in all its glories.

Along with my friend Sharon (aka my personal photographer), we flew down to Portland and drove over to the coast. We only stayed in the States for 2 nights hence not a whole lot of time to fully explore, but here are my top choices for where to find the best views of Northern Oregon Coast.

Ecola State Park

Oregon Coast

Cannon Beach is perhaps one of the most popular destinations along the North Coast. I myself have seen it all over Google, TripAdvisor, Instagram, what have you. Now funny thing is, all this time I had thought Cannon Beach was a beach but it’s not… It’s the name of a city!! In 1846, a cannon from a shipwreck was washed ashore and since then the area has been referred to as Cannon Beach. And of course, no trip here can be complete without a visit to Ecola State Park.

Oregon Coast Oregon Coast Oregon Coast

Upon arriving, we were greeted with signs to the view point. I’ll never forget the warmth of the sun gently kissing my cheeks and the gust of wind blowing through my hair, or the sound of the waves crashing against shore and the song the seagulls sang as they spread their wings and flew across the vast blue sky. I cannot begin to describe my sense of astonishment and there simply isn’t a word in the English dictionary to describe the beauty I had witnessed.

Oregon CoastIt does get a bit windy, but grab a jacket and your picnic basket and enjoy lunch with a view.

Oregon Coast Oregon Coast Oregon Coast

Aside from the viewpoint, there is a trailhead about another 5 to 7-minute drive further ahead. (This park is huge!) The stairs here lead down to the beach and this is definitely a great place to surf and ride the waves. We even saw one family setting up campfire and grilling fish! Awesome weekend getaway location for parents looking to take their kids outdoors.

Ecola State Park Map

There are also quite a few trails as well. If you do wish to challenge the hikes, make sure to double check online that the trails are open. Due to storms and heavy rain, sometimes the trails get washed out and it can get a bit dangerous on those slippery slopes. ≪Here≫ is a little handy-dandy brochure on the Ecola State Park trails.

Haystack Rock

Oregon Coast

Another iconic Cannon Beach landmark. I’m starting to feel a bit guilty that I’m really just listing the most well-known attraction sights but hey, they’re popular for a reason.

Oregon Coast Oregon Coast Oregon Coast Oregon Coast

Haystack Rock is a 235-foot sea stack and the surrounding smaller rocks are called The Needles. There are several inns and resorts located right along the beach and we unfortunately did not get to stay at one, but I would definitely recommend spending a night here so you get to experience the coast from dusk to dawn.

Oregon Coast Oregon CoastView from nearby inn parking lot.

Cannon Beach is by far one of the most scenic cities I have visited. I hear the the weather here is pretty consistent throughout the four seasons not like in Vancouver where we get most of our rain in the fall. It might be difficult to plan your visit with mother nature being so unpredictable but if you wish to try your luck, I most certainly recommend Ecola State Park and Haystack Rock. Again, these might sound like generic itinerary suggestions but ughh views for days okay! Need I say more!?

Oregon Coast

Plzdunnoticemydirtyshoesplzdunnoticemydirtyshoesplzdunnoticemydirtyshoes.

Our trip this time was made possible with our Jeep car rental from Enterprise. It was not sponsored but I always find myself returning for their competitive prices and excellent services. Thanks for tuning in and I’ll see you in my next week!

Share:

48 Comments

1. June 11, 2017 / 1:52 am

Oh, I love the Oregon Coast – it’s absolutely beautiful there! I did a road trip last summer and loved it! Looks like you had some amazing weather and sunshine while you were there.

June 11, 2017 / 2:15 am

We most certainly did!! A road trip sounds amazing. We didn’t have enough time to really go anywhere else but would defs love to some day! Have a great rest of your weekend hon <3

2. June 11, 2017 / 1:56 am

Wow, you have some beautiful photos of the coast. A very inspiring post… if this won’t get someone excited to visit Oregon, I don’t know what would! Thanks for sharing.

June 11, 2017 / 2:15 am

Thanks so much Jenn, glad you liked it! Hope you’ll add Oregon to your bucket list 😉

3. June 10, 2017 / 11:30 pm

Wow, your photos are incredible! I spent a summer interning in Seattle a few years ago and was so disappointed I couldn’t make it down to Oregon while I was there. I would absolutely love to do a road trip of the entire west coast, and this post made me excited to visit Oregon too 🙂

June 11, 2017 / 6:48 am

Thank you so much Christie! Aww bummer, there’s always next time though!! Super glad you enjoyed this post and hope you’re enjoying the rest of your weekend dear <3

4. June 11, 2017 / 12:35 am

wow what gorgeous photos! I have a few friends living in Portland so visiting up there is really high on my list! I’m from California but still haven’t made it up to Oregon – these pics are giving me the push I need to visit!

June 11, 2017 / 6:48 am

Lucky you! If I had friends in Portland I’d visit every other weekend. Have you seen Big Sur? I found the views here at Oregon Coast similar to there although I still haven’t been myself just yet.

5. June 11, 2017 / 2:33 am

Your pictures are amazing!! My cousins moved to Portland and I’m hoping to visit them this year. I have been to Vancouver and it was rainy but I still appreciated how clean and pretty the city is.

June 11, 2017 / 6:45 am

No way! Ughh I’m super jealous. Portland has the most amazing food AND it’s so close to here!! Defs pay them a visit, you won’t regret it and glad you enjoyed Vancouver despite the rain 🙂

6. June 11, 2017 / 3:55 am

The Oregon coast looks stunning and it looks like you had perfect weather there too. I love the idea of staying in the accommodatino right by the coast, it must be so peaceful. Also I agree with what you said about photographing the popular places, they’re popular for a reason.

June 11, 2017 / 6:43 am

It’d be such a serene and beautiful stay being able to wake up to the sound of the crashing waves. Thanks dear, glad you don’t mind me stating the obvious hahahaa.

7. Kelly
    June 11, 2017 / 6:18 am

I love the vibe and pace of the West Coast and feel like the scenery is just a big old added bonus. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can get to some of these places one day!!

June 11, 2017 / 6:41 am

Agreed! West Coast is a gem and I’m a West Coaster myself although up here in Canada. Hope you’re able to make it someday!

June 11, 2017 / 7:03 am

Thank you dear! I didn’t get any major injuries so I’m really fine. Hope you’re enjoying the rest of your weekend! 😀

8. Steph @ The Pink Backpack
    June 12, 2017 / 5:49 am

I am seriously swooning over your photos <3 so beautiful. I had never really considered the Oregon coast but wow, now I need to try to get there asap 🙂

June 12, 2017 / 4:43 pm

Thanks so much Steph! I’m glad I inspired you to give the coast a visit 😀

9. June 12, 2017 / 10:52 am

Wow. Just wow. These are some of the most beautiful photos of Oregon I’ve ever seen. You are incredibly talented.

June 12, 2017 / 4:45 pm

Aww girl you flatter me too much! The weather really was the number one factor in making these photos drop dead gorgeous. With such amazing sunlight and beautiful scenery, it was hard to take a bad photo.

10. June 12, 2017 / 11:00 am

I have serious photo envy! Your pictures are incredible, I just love the colors. This coastline looks beautiful and the weather was on your side for sure. So sorry to hear about your accident. I also had a car accident recently and it really threw me!

June 12, 2017 / 4:47 pm

Thanks so much hon! This was definitely one of the rare times that weather co-operated with me hahaa. And oh my goodness are you okay Claire!??!?! Hope you’re not too badly injured and wishing you a speedy recovery <3

11. June 12, 2017 / 2:56 pm

Oregon Coast really has great views. The wide uncrowded beach at the background with the verdant hills in the foreground was absolutely stunning. I would definitely want to go Ecola State Park and Haystack Rocks regardless of the weather.

June 12, 2017 / 4:49 pm

It was uncrowded mainly because they sealed off the area with warning tape saying that due to rain, it was unsafe to get too close to the edges. I imagine it’d be a different beauty here on a stormy day so you’re right, a visit here would be incredible no matter the weather!

12. June 12, 2017 / 3:12 pm

A most pleasant blast from the blast, spent a couple days at Ecola in 2013. Truly beautiful spot.

June 12, 2017 / 4:49 pm

A couple days!? Well aren’t you lucky!!!

13. Flo
    June 13, 2017 / 10:25 am

Haha your shoes aren’t THAT dirty! These views are absolutely stunning – I’m going to try to visit this part of Oregon Coast one day!

June 14, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Bahhahaa oh man I’ve worn them to raves and muddy tulip fields. Had to throw them out after this because there were too many holes lol! Oregon Coast is definitely bucket list worthy, I highly recommend it! 😀

14. June 14, 2017 / 7:02 am

Love the beautiful photos! This looks like such a amazing place to visit. I haven’t been to Oregon but I want to go there someday. Added to my bucket list!

June 14, 2017 / 7:18 pm

Aww thank dear, super glad you enjoyed my post and got inspired to visit! Thanks for stopping by and have a great rest of your week <3

15. June 14, 2017 / 11:16 am

This was such an informative and beautiful post (I mean those photos!!!) I am yet to see a lot of the Oregon Coast and this has made me want to get back there ASAP!

June 14, 2017 / 7:19 pm

Thank you so much Renee! That means a lot coming from a super photographer such as yourself!! Hope you get to see this beauty someday 😉

16. June 15, 2017 / 7:52 am

Wow! Your photos are absolutely stunning. I had no idea Oregon was so beautiful! I will be putting this on my bucket list. Thank you for sharing! 🙂

June 17, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Thanks so much Teresa! I’m super glad I was able to inspire you to visit! Cheers <3

17. June 15, 2017 / 5:39 pm

We cant wait to drive down the Oregon Coast. It looks so beautiful. Your photos are stunning. We plan on going in October, hope the sun is still shining!

June 17, 2017 / 2:44 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! Just make sure you bring a windbreaker. It gets hella windy there no matter which month. The restaurants also close earlier during that time though so be sure to make plans accordingly. Have fun!!

18. June 16, 2017 / 8:23 am

The Oregon coast looks lovely. I particularly love your shots covering the beach as well as the greenery around. They are producing a perfect blend of blue and green . Those rocks are also very unique.

June 17, 2017 / 2:45 pm

We weren’t able to find parking so we randomly parked near an inn and saw that view with the blue and green contrast. Really just a lucky find!

19. Ivy
    June 16, 2017 / 11:04 am

Daannng girl these photos are gorgeous! You’re killing it on IG lately with all these summery snaps! How much is it to fly down to Portland? I remember driving for 6 hours a few years back and told myself never again…

June 17, 2017 / 2:49 pm

Awww thanks Ivy <3 Airfare cost about $300 CAD per person. Driving is obviously cheaper but ya no we didn't wanna torture our bums through that hahahaa.

20. June 17, 2017 / 1:17 am

I absolutely love the pictures of Haystack Rock – they look so dreamy! To be honest, I have never heard of it nor The Needles, but boy is it gorgeous! I’d love to take a roadtrip down the Oregan coast – so many photo ops!

June 17, 2017 / 2:50 pm

Indeed! I swear every corner we turned was just the perfect scene for picture-taking. Definitely add it to your bucket list 😉

21. June 17, 2017 / 6:07 am

Your photos are very Instagram-worthy! The Cannon Beach looks awesome. The weather must be so lovely and nice. Your friend is really good in taking photos.

June 17, 2017 / 2:51 pm

I’m super thankful she doesn’t get mad at me for wanting to take so many photos bahhaa. Oregon Coast is such a perfect place to take pictures, I think you’d love it there too 🙂

22. June 18, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Wow, that coast looks incredible. I never knew it was so beautiful, but now i MUST visit! 🙂

23. Riely
    June 18, 2017 / 10:24 pm

The Oregon coast is absolutely gorgeous. I have only been to Cannon Beach once when I was quite young, but the views are truly the best. I would love to go back one day soon. Ecole State Park would be on my list to do. And, of course Haystack Rock never disappoints. It’s worth the hype. Gorgeous photos!

June 18, 2017 / 10:44 pm

Thanks so much Riely! Glad you agree it’s worth the hype. Usually when something gets hyped up, it loses its charms for me, but Oregon Coast is truly a stunner indeed. Hope you’ll get to revisit some day soon 🙂

24. June 22, 2017 / 12:54 pm

My boss is from Alaska, but he travels to Oregon often. He said that the natural scenery there is stunning. Seeing your photos, he is right. Those coastal photos are totally amazing!