Where to Rent a Kimono in Tokyo [Review]

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

A kimono is not just a garment; it is the embodiment of Japanese art itself.

During my trip to Tokyo, I got the chance to stroll the streets of Asakusa in a beautiful, traditional kimono courtesy of Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo. Even though this wasn’t my first kimono experience, it was without a doubt the most unforgettable. (Feel free to check out my previous review for Yume Yakata ≪here≫.)

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Address: Tokyo-to Taitoh-ku Asakusa 1-41-8 Atelier Building 1F, 2F
Phone Number: 075-600-2830 (common call center)
English Website: https://kyotokimono-rental.com/en/asakusa/asakusa-access/asakusa

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

What’s special about Wargo is they offer a wide variety of kimonos ranging from the simplest summer yukatas to extravagant antique and Mamechiyo Modern designs. They have quite a few locations all across Japan as well and the one I visited was in Asakusa, Tokyo.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Upon my arrival, I was taken aback by how gorgeous their kimonos were. The shop wasn’t big but the choices were endless. It was rows and rows of vivid colors and lovely fine silks – I simply couldn’t decide!

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

The kimonos are organized by style and price. There’s definitely something for everyone no matter the budget.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Note that there are also rental options for men and children available.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

And of course, to complete the whole look, you get to choose your own obi (belt) and hair ornament.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

I asked the staff for recommendation on what style/color would suit me and when they presented this mint kimono, I was in awe!

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

The Process

After you’ve chosen a kimono of your liking, Wargo’s specialists will help you get dressed. A kimono actually consists of quite a few layers of clothing so be sure to wear something comfy underneath. I recommend a tank top and leggings/cotton shorties. If you intend on renting a light-colored kimono, stay away from wearing dark clothes underneath as the colors may peek through.

Here is a more detailed description of everything you need to know about the rental process: ≪here≫.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Service

After checking in for your appointment, you are left to pick your own garment – which I really enjoyed. I was able to browse freely and didn’t feel pressured or rushed. When I couldn’t make my choice, I then asked for suggestions and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I somehow ended up practicing my Japanese the whole time, but they do speak English, Chinese, and Cantonese.

The dressing service is definitely very professional. One thing I would like to highlight is the amount of care and attention they put into dressing you and creating the perfect obi bow in the back. Like I said, I’ve rented a kimono before in Kyoto and because I couldn’t see my back when I got dressed, I later saw in my photos that some sections were quite wrinkled and bulky. At Wargo, I didn’t have this issue at all. Everything was in place and very flat, very smooth. There were quite a few knots tied to keep all the layers together but overall they didn’t cause any discomfort at all.

I did get my hair done as well and the hairstylist pinned my hair in place within seconds! They have a couple standard hairstyles, which are super cute, but if you’d like to bring in your own picture and show them, they do that too. Another thing I love is that they provide kanzashi (hair ornaments) free of charge. Last time I rented a kimono, I had to actually purchase the kanzashi, and let me tell you, they were all very, very expensive! Wargo is great in that sense that you get to save a few bucks and their ornaments are absolutely exquisite not to mention there is a wide range of selection to choose from. Almost forgot, socks, geta sandals, and purse accessories are all also included in the rental prices!

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

I would say the whole process took about an hour. 20-30 minutes for getting dressed and getting my hair done and the rest of the time I was really just struggling with which kimono to pick.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

Final Verdict

I had the pleasure of working with Wargo and yes, this is a sponsored post BUT all opinions are of my own and I do recommend Wargo to those who would like to experience strolling down Tokyo in a kimono. As I was in Asakusa, several obachans complimented me on my kimono and I was approached by tourists who thought I was a local and asked if they could take pictures with me. Awesome range of selection, fantastic service, and overall just a great value. If you’d like to capture your special memories, they also offer professional photo shoot packages.

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

In addition to their cute kimonos, they have a section in the store for umbrellas. These are inspired by kimono prints and come in portable, foldable forms as well as full-size lengths. They are fairly priced and make for a perfect omiyage (souvenir)!

Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo Kyoto Kimono Rental Wargo

If you plan on visiting Japan and would like an authentic kimono experience, be sure to give Wargo a try. You definitely won’t regret it! Feel free to check out my Japan vlog for more footage on this wonderful rental experience and I’ll see you in the next post!

Share:

54 Comments

1. June 4, 2017 / 3:33 am

Bookmarking this so I’ll have it on hand whenever I visit Tokyo! Kimono’s are so stunning, I would love to wear one someday 🙂

June 4, 2017 / 3:36 am

Yay! Kimonos really are a work of art. You’re gonna love the experience for sure. If and when you do visit, please let them know I sent you! Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome day Brianna <3

2. Julia Dent
    June 4, 2017 / 9:44 pm

I didn’t know you could rent kimonos, but I really want to do that now! And they all look so beautiful! 🙂 I love the variety of options!

June 5, 2017 / 9:43 pm

You can!! It’s a really popular thing to do especially during the summer since there are so many festivals where it’s a tradition to show up in a yukata (summer kimono). Give it a try if you get the chance! 😉

3. June 5, 2017 / 10:29 am

I didn;t realise Kimono hire was a thing. They’re really beautiful, elegant garments though. Thanks for enlightening us!

June 5, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I only discovered through a student exchange back in high school where the school rented kimonos for us to try on. It really is an exception experience. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week ahead! <3

4. June 5, 2017 / 12:03 pm

I’m so glad I found your blog – you explain everything in such detail!! I’ll save this for when I finally go.

June 5, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Thanks so much Rachel, that’s super sweet of you! Please let them know that I sent you if and when you do visit Japan. Have a great week dear!

5. June 5, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Didn’t even know you could hire out Kimono. Loving the style and they are so pretty. Fantastic read. 🙂

June 5, 2017 / 9:48 pm

Thanks for stopping by Danik! Wargo has such an amazing selection of kimonos and I really hope that through this post, more travellers can discover their beautiful garments and give them a try. Cheers!

6. June 6, 2017 / 3:37 pm

This is such a unique and interesting post! Your kimono was absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing 🙂

June 7, 2017 / 2:42 am

Thank you so much Renee! Hope you enjoyed reading it because I had fun drafting this post. Cheers!

7. June 7, 2017 / 7:11 am

Such a gorgeous post Jas, your kimono is so stunning, the staff certainly picked the perfect one for you! What a fun experience to have while in Japan! Xx

June 7, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Thanks Priti! I actually saw it too when I was browsing but wasn’t sure it’d fit me. Super glad I made the right choice!!

8. June 7, 2017 / 1:58 pm

Saving this for my future trip! What a beautiful experience. I never thought about renting a kimono until a few months ago, but now that I keep seeing the experience, it looks so magical.

June 7, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Aww thanks Anna, glad you enjoyed this post. It’s such an amazing experience and I definitely recommend that you try it. If and when you do visit, please let them know I sent you! Happy Wednesday <3

9. Joanna
    June 7, 2017 / 2:31 pm

How amazing this experience must have been! I didn’t know you can just rent a kimono and get in the shoes of a geisha in Japan. It’s definitely something I would love to do. The kimono the staff chose for you is so pretty!

June 7, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Thanks so much Joanna! It’s actually a super popular thing to do especially during the summer since Japan has a lot of festivals where it’s a norm to show up in a kimono 😀

10. June 7, 2017 / 2:57 pm

Japan is like my dream destination. I’m saving this for later use. 🙂 I also loved their umbrellas, so colorful!!

June 7, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Yay! I love their umbrellas too, such a nice pop of color for those gloomy, rainy days. If you ever visit them, please do let them know I sent you. xoxo

11. June 7, 2017 / 3:30 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of beautiful Kimono. I guess, if ever I’m going to rent a Kimono too, I’ll be struggling what color and design to pick. Anyway, you look stunning and gorgeous in your Kimono. Thanks for sharing.

June 7, 2017 / 4:02 pm

Hahaha the struggle was too real. Thanks so much hon, hope you have an amazing rest of your week!

12. June 7, 2017 / 7:57 pm

I didn’t event know you could rent a kimono! I love the umbrellas too.

June 8, 2017 / 1:00 am

Yah! It’s totally a thing and it’s such an experience! I’ve been using my umbrella from here and every time I do, my mood instantly lightens up despite the dreary rain 🙂

13. June 8, 2017 / 12:51 am

Wow there all so beautiful! And you look absolutely regal in your pictures. Thanks for sharing!

June 8, 2017 / 1:01 am

Thank you so much Jen! I’m absolutely delighted by your kind words <3

14. June 8, 2017 / 5:03 pm

I’m visiting Tokyo last this year and was planning on renting a kimono somewhere! Bookmarking this place, thank you!

June 8, 2017 / 11:57 pm

That’s awesome!!! I really do hope you give Wargo a try and if you do, please let them know I sent you. Enjoy your trip to Tokyo and if you need any tips, feel free to ask! 😀

15. June 8, 2017 / 6:02 pm

Wow! Tokyo is very much in my wishlist! Whole of Japan for the matter, I haven’t been to that side of the world! The concept of Kimono rental is a great idea, as to buy one would be costly and we’d never find another occasion to wear it again! You look fantastic wearing that Kimono. Hope I’ll get to wear one too!

June 9, 2017 / 12:00 am

Japan is such a beautiful destination you’re gonna love it when you visit. And agreed, this is a super cheap alternative to buying an actual kimono. Give Wargo a try if and when you do visit Japan 🙂

16. June 8, 2017 / 8:45 pm

How beautiful! I had no idea you could rent kimonos, but this seems like a great thing to keep in mind for the future. The kimono you chose was absolutely gorgeous!

June 9, 2017 / 12:01 am

Ya Megan, it’s totally a thing! It’s quite popular for tourists to rent kimonos in the summer too since there are a lot of festivals where it’s a tradition to show up in a yukata (summer kimono). Thanks for stopping by dear, hope you’re off to an amazing weekend <3

17. Jackie
    June 9, 2017 / 12:52 am

THIS IS SO FUN! I didn’t know you could rent kimonos! I totally thought everyone was just buying them. I love the color and pattern explosion on the photos of the kimonos and I totally would’ve opted for purple accessories, also! I want to visit Japan so badly!

June 9, 2017 / 6:42 am

Bahhahaaa you’re hilarious girl! You should defs hit up Japan when you can. It’s such a beautiful country you’re gonna love it there for sure.

18. June 9, 2017 / 8:40 am

That’s pretty cool! Those kimonos are very colorful and they look sooooo comfortable. Is there a version for males?

June 10, 2017 / 8:57 pm

They’re not exactly the most comfortable to walk in though since your legs get restricted a bit and you can really only take small steps. To answer your question, yes, they offer kimono for men as well! You can see in one of the images I included. There are less options compared to ladies’ rentals but the designs are still very simple and elegant. Would be an experience to rent together as a couple! 🙂

19. Casey Owen
    June 9, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Are there any other traditional Japanese clothing that I can rent to wear? In summer which is during the months of June, July, and August, kimono rental shops usually rent out

June 11, 2017 / 7:09 am

If you book a reservation in advance, you should be fine. The last kimono rental place I visited in Kyoto (Yume Yakata) does rentals for samurai hakama and you can read more about it here – https://www.en-kyoto.yumeyakata.com/hakama 🙂

20. June 11, 2017 / 2:14 am

I live dressing up in traditional local clothing so it’s good to know about this option in Tokyo. It’s good they provide for men and children too, as I found make truly special images with my beautiful daughter.

June 11, 2017 / 6:46 am

Aww that would be the most special experience taking your family along! If you ever visit Japan and decide to do this, please let them know I sent you. Cheers!

21. June 11, 2017 / 5:23 am

That is amazing! I am actually going to Tokyo this year and I had no idea you can rent kimono! They are so lovely and I would love to have a photoshoot in one of those! This place looks fantastic especially that it include your hair done as well! Thank you so much for sharing it!

June 11, 2017 / 6:42 am

That’s awesome!!! Hope you’ll check it out and if you do, please let them know I sent you. Have a great trip! <3

22. June 11, 2017 / 9:53 am

I have pinned this post to refer back in future when I get a chance to visit Tokyo in the future. I would love to flaunt one there as it all sorts pretty! Thanks for the tips!

June 12, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Thanks for pinning Harsh!! Please let them know I sent you if you ever get to visit! It’d be such an experience to rent as a couple 😉

23. Hassan
    June 11, 2017 / 4:06 pm

That is interesting, i have been to Japan 3 time but never thought they are on rent as well. Shared with my gf will definitely try it out on out next visit.

June 12, 2017 / 4:38 pm

Hahaa well now you know! It’d be a fun activity to do with your girlfriend the next time you guys are in Japan!

24. sophie
    June 11, 2017 / 11:46 pm

I didn’t know how to rent a Kimono! But this looks such fun! I would love to do the same adventures as yours! Total fun! 😀

June 12, 2017 / 4:39 pm

I’ll be honest, walking around in a kimono is actually quite tiring since your movements are very much restricted. Still definitely recommend you to try it out though. It’s a beautiful experience and you’ll love it for sure 🙂

25. June 12, 2017 / 3:33 am

First of all, gal you look super cute and actually a locale in this Kimono and all accessories put together. I really like their concept of renting Kimono. Their huge silk collection, an arrangement in the store and the patience to dress up can be clearly judged from your words. I would surely love to try this out once around in Japan.

June 12, 2017 / 4:41 pm

Aww so sweet of you hon, thanks so much! I’m really glad you enjoyed my review. You should totally check them out if you ever decide to visit Japan. It’s a once in a lifetime experience!! 😉

26. Chiara Cisario
    June 12, 2017 / 4:48 am

I loved this post so much, I’ve always been fascinated by Kimonos and now, when I’ll get to Japan, I’ll know where to rent one 🙂 Thanks for sharing

June 12, 2017 / 4:42 pm

Aww you’re gonna love wearing one so much! Thank YOU for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment <3

27. June 13, 2017 / 7:09 pm

Didn’t know you could rent a kimono from my previous visit to Japan. Looks like a really cool experience and the outfit looks great on you. Being a guy, not sure if there’s anything for me but I think my wife would give it a try when we go back.

June 14, 2017 / 7:28 pm

They have outfits for guys too! You can see them in one of the photos above. There aren’t as many options as the ladies’ but they got you covered! It would totally be a cute experience going as a couple. Great photo shoot opportunity too 😉